How to turn writing into a career, minimize failure in business, and write copy that sells, with Ben Settle [PODCAST 47]
If you could turn your writing into a career, even if you didn’t consider yourself a good writer… and even if you are average at grammar… would you want to know how to do it?
Today’s guest, Ben Settle, is a master at increasing sales conversions for himself and other businesses. He’s a professional copywriter who’s learned from the best in the business how to research a market, write to that market’s specific pain points, and generate sales well above the industry norm. He’s convinced that he’s nothing special and that any entrepreneur can learn the skills to write to create more business, make more sales, and boost profits.
In this conversation he shares many tips and strategies to get into the minds and hearts of your prospects so that you know how to write to their real needs.
He also shares his 5-step copywriting formula that he gleaned from researching the work of greats in the copywriting industry like Gary Halbert, Eugene Schwartz, David Ogilvie, Ken McCarthy, and many others. Ben’s boiled down everything he’s learned into simple, proven strategies that he believes anyone can learn. Effective writing (copywriting) is not about the product, and not about the price. It’s about knowing your target market. He’s convinced that if you know your market well, you can sell them every time, and he’s going to walk you through some of the strategies to do just that…
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn in this show:
- [0:32] Introduction of today’s guest: Ben Settle.
- [2:54] What Ben learned from Gary Halbert.
- [7:20] Ben’s 5 step formula for writing copy.
- [9:27] What IS copywriting?
- [13:10] Ben’s concentration on the marketplace he’s working in (his 17 page questionnaire).
- [18:02] The three types of business people.
- [19:20] How to get into the subconscious mind of your prospects.
- [20:00] A story from Eugene Swartz about effectively knowing your market.
- [21:46] Ways Ben gets people to open up about their problems.
- [23:09] Why Ben is not big on “hard selling.”
- [24:46] How to connect with Ben Settle.
- [25:40] Ben’s contrarian belief about “Moving the Free line.”
- [27:26] Why Ben was compelled to go into writing in the first place.
- [28:05] Rituals Ben recommends to become a better writing.
- [28:58] How writing Gary Halbert’s letters by hand helped Ben.
- [30:13] Why writing trumps typing when you’re learning to write copy.
- [31:01] The people Ben has learned from.
- [32:30 Ben’s biggest career mistake and what he learned from it.
- [34:30] Ben’s lowest point and what he did to get out of it.
Resources mentioned on this episode:
This show brought to you by Done for You Solutions. Outsourcing doesn’t have to be difficult. Whether you’re looking for customer service, optimizing your website, or a virtual assistant to help with reporting, data, or research, Done for You Solutions can help. I’ve used Done for You Solutions for years and they help simplify. Click here to learn more and let the founder Ric Thompson know that you heard about him from our show.
Genius Network is the place high level entrepreneurs go for collaboration, contribution, and connections not available anywhere else. Members get strategies for exponential growth and opportunities for deal making, strategic partnerships, joint ventures, and more. Membership is by application only. Click here to learn more. I was one of the original members when Joe started it in 2007 and today I get to help grow the company in my current role. You can also learn more about the Genius Network Annual Event here – which is the one time per year the group is opened to non-members.
- www.BenSettle.com – Ben’s website
- www.BenSettleShow.com – Ben’s podcast
- BOOK: The System Club Letters
- Crypto-Marketing Newsletter
- Street Smart Email
- BOOK: The 7 Lost Secrets of Success
People mentioned on this episode:
- Dr. Jeremy Weisz
- Gary Halbert
- John Carlton
- Gary Bencivenga
- Richard Sears (Founder of SEARS)
- Ken McCarthy
- David Ogilvie
- John Childers (wealth formula Dan mentioned)
- Michael Fischman
- Eugene Schwartz
- Michael Gelb (brain power)
- Matt Furey
- Joe Vitale
- Dan Sullivan
- Joe Polish
- Dan Kennedy
ABOUT DAN KUSCHELL:
Dan Kuschell is a success driven business growth strategist, a media contributor, and thought leader. He helps entrepreneurs, leaders, and business owners grow and scale their companies 10x by driving the flow of elegant ideas, execution, and team-culture for greater clarity, confidence, and direction. Dan has been recognized worldwide for creating results with his resources, books, and strategies.
Meet Dan at http://www.DanKuschell.com
Get more access to Dan’s wisdom here: http://www.youtube.com/ChampionVision
Watch/Listen to the show: http://www.growthtofreedom.com
Tweet us at: https://twitter.com/dan_kuschell
Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/dankuschellpage
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dankuschell